The Sherwood Group worked closely with Bakkavor to deliver an innovative carton board packaging, for Christmas table centrepiece dessert; Tesco Finest Croquembouche Patisserie Kit.
What needed doing
In the product’s second year, Bakkavor wanted to significantly reduce the carton’s material footprint and to fit two kits in a logistics tote. This packaging reduction exercise also gave us the opportunity to look at how the product was packed in the bakery, with a view to improving the environmental footprint.
What we did
- Totally removed the need for the plastic vac form trays that held the frozen profiteroles by utilising Puracoat™ sustainable barrier coating
- We were able to reduce the number of skillet cartons from five, down to two. The new skillets were treated with Puracoat™ aqueous barrier coating to give moisture resistant properties to the cartons
- Reduced the outer packaging to fit two side-by-side in a Tesco delivery tote
- An environmentally friendly, water-based barrier control
- Suitable for direct food contact
- Grease resistant to highest Kit 12 rating
- Suitable for frozen conditions
- Fully recyclable and biodegradable in line with BS EN 13432
Save Cost And Resource
- 100% elimination of plastic vac-formed trays in favour of Puracoat™ treated carton board skillets.
- Overall, we achieved a packaging material saving of 40% compared with the Year 1 product
- Trebled the volume sold in comparison to the first year