Chilango Puracoat® Packaging
Chilango, a UK based Mexican restaurant chain, were looking for a replacement for their bagasse trays and plastic lids, which were used to serve burritos, tacos, salads and nachos. Chilango were looking for a more robust, vibrant and iconic alternative for their packaging, which would enable them to tell their brand story, whilst being environmentally friendly, functional and maintain the food’s temperature during delivery.
We replaced the bagasse trays and plastic lids with a cartonboard pack, utilising Puracoat®, a water based barrier coating. When applied to any food-grade cartonboard, Puracoat® provides grease and moisture resistant properties, while being fully recyclable and biodegradable.
- An environmentally friendly, water-based barrier control
- Suitable for direct food contact
- Grease resistant to highest Kit 12 rating
- Flexible application levels to meet end use requirements
The End Result
- Puracoat®, when used in conjunction with a natural, insulating Kraft board product, ensures Chilango products are delivered fresh and appetizingly hot with no unsightly food migration from the carton
- 100% elimination of plastic packaging components
- 100% recyclable and fully biodegradable packaging
- Finalist at The UK Packaging Awards 2019- category “Cartonboard Pack of the Year”